TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR DEVON CHIMNEY SWEEPS & STOVE INSTALLATIONS
We undertake to do the best job possible for our customers for a quoted price. That is our commitment to you. Of course, like many businesses there is some ‘small print’ so here it is.
We operate a ‘fixed’ pricing scheme for a straight forward sweep or job. We rely on you to tell us what we are sweeping – the price will be quoted to you based on that information. If you have failed to tell us in advance of any problems, or that it is, for example a fireplace that is larger than normal, we reserve the right to ‘re-quote’ on arrival. You can decline to use the service at that point, although a site visit charge will apply. If we encounter a problem (this might for example, be a blockage or a problem flue, or a very neglected non-regularly swept flue). The sweep will advise you if there are any extra charges to be made. If you decide you do not want the sweep to continue with the job, we reserve the right to make a charge to cover our costs, including a contribution towards work already undertaken.
- Payment is due at the time of provision of the service, except where arranged in advance.
- Various payment options are offered. You may pay by cash, bank transfer and card. A receipt along with the certificate per appliance will also be provided. Cheques are no longer accepted.
- If we find a problem we will tell you. If we can resolve the problem but it is necessary to charge extra, we will tell you before the work is undertaken.
- We understand that our customers have busy lives too. If you have to change or cancel an appointment, please give as much notice as possible. We have allocated time in our day specifically for you and late notice cancellation may mean we cannot rebook. We may have turned away other customers if we have a full day. We reserve the right to charge a fee in the event that no-one is home when we attend the property, and/or we cannot gain access. We also reserve the right to charge in the event of a last-minute cancellation, (less than a full 48 ours notice).
Charging If We Are Unable To Carry Out Sweep Upon Arrival
Should our sweeps turn up and be unable to carry the sweep out then we reserve the right to charge the full price of the intended booked sweep. We have come across many properties where the homeowner has booked a sweep and upon arrival a gas lining is hanging in the chimney, or the chimney pots have been capped off previously so making it not possible to carry a sweep out. We are happy to advise on remedial action needed to enable a sweep to take place but as our time and diary space is very busy and precious we cannot attend properties and walk away due to lack of information or incorrect information provided when booking. Our administration team always try and be thorough with asking as much as possible but if your unsure please send us some emails with pictures before we confirm the appointment.
NESTS OR BLOCKAGES
- We are unable to remove live nests in May to June when Jackdaws are nesting as it is illegal to do so (please see the RSPB guidelines). If we find a nest in the chimney when we are sweeping, we will usually arrange to come back to remove it when it is legal to do so. Please do not ask us, or any other person, to break the law and remove the nest when it is illegal. We will make a charge for our time if we cannot sweep, (this will be half the agreed sweep cost).
- If we are working outdoors (such as fitting a cap or cowl) the work will be dependent upon the weather being suitable for working from a ladder or the use of Devon Cherry Pickers. We are sorry if we have to postpone, but we will do our best to carry out the work in good time.
- While great care is taken to prevent damage to your property, the sweep cannot be held responsible for badly maintained or deteriorating pots, cowls, chimney stacks, fireplaces, stoves, stove firebricks or any other part of your chimney. Material information should be disclosed, such as age and type of covering, and any known problems. We’ll do our best to advise you and take precautions to prevent damage, but in some instances, may recommend remedial work prior to sweeping or ask you to sign a disclaimer to allow us to continue. Please do not be offended, we would rather you knew in advance.Cowls and some chimney pots have a limited life as they have been in situ for many years, and/or may not have been fitted correctly or poor-quality products have been used. Without confirming the security of these from the ground, we cannot accept any responsibility for these coming loose, breaking or falling off. Also, any damage they may cause to roofing and anything below as they fall. We are legally required to exit a chimney pot for a certified chimney sweep, if a cowl is present we always take great care to enter these.If your chimney/flue has not been annually swept as per the UK recommendation’s for burning solid fuels, the sweep price shall increase as it becomes not a standard chimney sweep. If we must clear register plates from debris before we can start, then additional charges shall be added for time onsite. We rely at booking stage for as much information from you as possible before we attend so we can quote an accurate price for you.
- We aim to sweep all types of appliances that burn solid fuel, wood, oil or gas, in residential or commercial premises. We do encounter some problems with wood burning stoves (and sometimes other installations) that have been fitted without provision for sweeping. Worse, some are not ‘legal’ installations and are just plain dangerous. We will do our best to sweep but sometimes we will be unable to undertake the job, leaving you with the best advice we can offer to rectify the problem.
- Steel lined flues are not indestructible. We use the worlds most advanced method of power sweeping, The Rodtech System, insurance approved, and all our sweeps have undertaken intensive training in its use. For stainless steel flexible and rigid flue systems we will use a specific head and rods to undertake the power sweep.
- All our sweeps are registered under the Data Protection Act 1998. We will not sell your data and only make contact once agreement has been sought to do so.
- We are a local, professional chimney sweeping and installation business and we rely on customers coming back to us year after year. If you like what we do, please tell everyone! If we have disappointed you in any way, please tell us!
Devon Chimney Sweeps,
Goodison House, 57 Wolborough Street,
It also relates to the website; www.devonchimneysweeps.co.uk
It governs the privacy of those who use the website and customers of Devon Chimney Sweeps. The purpose of this policy is to explain to you how we control, process, handle and protect your personal information, including your rights under current laws and regulations. If you do not agree to the following policy you may wish to cease viewing / using the website, or request that we stop processing your information.
Policy key definitions:
- “I”, “our”, “us”, or “we” refer to the business, Devon Chimney Sweeps.
- “Customer” Any person requesting services from Devon Chimney Sweeps.
- “you”, “the user” refer to the person(s) using the website www.devonchimneysweeps.co.uk.
- GDPR means General Data Protection Act.
- ICO means Information Commissioner’s Office.
PROCESSING OF YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We are exempt from registration in the ICO Data Protection Register as we only process data for the core business purposes.
All data is controlled and processed by Kate Anderson & Matt Cleave.
Under the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) we control and / or process any personal information about you using the following lawful bases.
- Lawful basis: Contract
The reason we use this basis: To allow us to deliver our services to our customers through mail, email or verbal communication, e.g. by providing a quotation for services.
We process your information in the following ways: On initial meeting, via telephone enquiry or through our website contact page we collect the following information:
- First name & Surname
- Company name (If applicable)
- Full postal address
- Contact telephone number
- Email address
This data allows us to provide you with: quotations, invoices, statements and certification of completed work.
Data retention period: We shall continue to process your information until the contract between us ends or is terminated under any contract terms. After this period your information will be securely destroyed or deleted.
Sharing your information: We may share your personal information with selected third parties and they include; HETAS, HSE, Local Authority Building Control (LABC). This information comprises of your name and address and is used for certification, notification of completed work and for warranties.
- Lawful basis: Legal obligation
The reason we use this basis: We are required by law to keep records of all business transactions for tax purposes.
We process your information in the following ways: All invoices are stored as a record of business transaction for tax purposes. The data comprises of your name, address, email address.
Data retention period: Current minimum time as required by HMRC, (6 years). After this period your information will be securely destroyed or deleted.
Sharing your information: We do share your personal information with third parties and they include; Torbay Accountancy Ltd Accountants, & HMRC.
If, as determined by us, the lawful basis upon which we process your personal information changes, we will notify you about the change and any new lawful basis to be used if required. We shall stop processing your personal information if the lawful basis used is no longer relevant.
YOUR INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS
Under the GDPR your rights are as follows. You can read more about your rights in detail at www.ico.org.uk
- the right to be informed;
- the right of access;
- the right to rectification;
- the right to erasure;
- the right to restrict processing;
- the right to data portability;
- the right to object; and
- the right not to be subject to automated decision-making including profiling.
You also have the right to complain to the ICO www.ico.org.uk if you feel there is a problem with the way we are handling your data.
We handle subject access requests in accordance with the GDPR. If you wish to exercise any of your rights under the GDPR then please contact us either in writing addressed to:
Devon Chimney Sweeps,
Goodison House, 57 Wolborough Street,
Or via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
DATA SECURITY AND PROTECTION
We ensure the security of any personal information we hold by using secure data storage technologies and precise procedures in how we store, access and manage that information. Our methods meet the GDPR compliance requirement.